Jun 15, 2009

Father's Day


Hmmmmmmmm............where to begin. Of course I know my dad is the best but why? Well he has a strong spirit that has always made me believe that anything or any problem can be worked out. His heart is so full of love for his family, it's amazing. I don't know anyone stronger. I don't know anyone who can command respect without even raising his voice like my dad. I can honestly say that because of? my dad and my mom, I have not one bad childhood memory, not one (although it is pretty safe to say that they can't say the same in reverse about me)! I have nothing but love, gratitude and respect for my dad.
p.s. He's also pretty funny
Lisa Blevins


My dad, Jim, was a quiet man, so when he spoke you listened and from him I learned an appreciation of the world around me as it pertained to trees, animals, things in general and humor. If you listened and observed there was a lot to learn and appreciate. Dad also loved to play jokes, especially on children. During one Easter I was the recipient of one of his pranks. He said, "Let's have a contest" and handed me one of two perfectly dyed eggs. "Let's see who can crack an egg over their head, peel and eat it first." As I said, dad loved to play jokes, which usually meant on those who were unsuspecting and gullible and he hit the jackpot in me because I was certainly all of those things. What dad "failed" to mention was that my egg was not cooked! While he certainly had a good laugh as the egg slowly spread all over the top of my head, I gained another example of humor and a wonderful memory to file away. I learned a lot from him.

Jim was a hard worker, not only hauling cars and campers for many years but during periods when he was not on the road in the 1950's he would contract with the government to cut down trees to make room for future roads in Marquette and other areas. During those times we lived in various places, one being what was then a 125 year old log house which included 80 acres and a trout stream. Dad also kept a large garden (there was certainly plenty of room) and he and mom would do a lot of canning. One winter he also found time to have some fun after finding a pair of ski's in the attic. He took them over to a hill on a farm across the road from us and I tagged along. Did I forget to mention there were no poles with the ski's? That did not stop dad from trying. Who needs poles? Of course there were several attempts down the hill though I won't say he was necessarily standing up when he arrived at the bottom but it was fun. All in all, he appreciated life and living and I will always be grateful to God for giving me the example of my dad." -Marianne Ashby



Born in 1921, my Dad was the youngest of nine children. According to what I've heard from various sources he was just a bit spoiled, being the 'baby' of the family. I suppose by the time he came along, energy for discipline was waning. He served in World War II as an Engineer. His Dad rode horse-back through the mountains of Eastern Kentucky to preach. It's amazing to me how God has weaved Christianity through our families for generations. I'm very grateful He has.
Growing up with Dad wasn't always easy. His word was law and I seldom had the desire to trespass it. It wasn't until he was in his early 70's that I developed a friendship with him and I'm thankful we had that time before his death in 2000 at the age of 79. I would visit him in Ohio and we would sit on the front porch swing and talk, take a ride through the country and stop for ice cream when weather permitted. We always watched Larry King before turning in for the night. If the preview seemed interesting, we would sit up and watch the program; if not, we'd both go to bed. Morning came early at Dad's place.

I was grateful to be able to help my brother and two sisters care for Dad in the months before he died. It was a difficult time but one I wouldn't trade. During those last months he assured us he was prepared to leave here and that he had made peace with the Lord. We talked of that often before his illness, but we all wanted to make sure he was going to heaven and that we would see him again.

Dad didn't always do everything right but I believe he did the best he knew how at the time and I appreciate that. Were it not for him and my Mom, I wouldn't be here. God saw fit to allow me to be born to these two people and I'm grateful for the gift of life and the privilege of having Winford Riddle as my father. - Louise Moore

No comments: